Supporting Local When It’s Needed the Most
With the most recent COVID-19 restrictions put in place by Alberta’s Government officials, time is of the essence to give your favourite local, homegrown businesses a boost. The Top Draw team has pulled together our all time favourite Edmonton businesses so you can support them during a time when it is needed the most.
WHY SUPPORT LOCAL?
“Going local does not mean walling off the outside world. It means nurturing locally-owned businesses which use local resources sustainably, employ local workers at decent wages, and serve primarily local consumers. It means becoming more self-sufficient and less dependent on imports. Control moves from the boardrooms of distant corporations and back into the community where it belongs.” – Michael H. Shuman, author of the book Going Local.
1. Local Economical Encouragement: When shopping at a locally-owned business rather than a large nationally-owned company, the money you use to pay for the good or service is kept within the community because often local businesses purchase from other local businesses, service providers, and local farms.
2. Employment Sustainability: Simply put, local businesses are the largest employers nationally. By supporting local businesses, your purchase allows local shops or stores to keep their employees on payroll during some of the toughest times our province has seen.
3. Greater Local Non-Profit Support: Local businesses typically donate and give back at a more significant rate to local charities, non-profits, or communities than non-local businesses.
4. Better Customer Service: Nobody enjoys waiting on hold to “speak with the next available customer service representative.” With sustained employment, you are more likely to get a true product or service expert who also supports other local businesses. Typically local business owners are extremely thankful for your business.
5. Unique Businesses Create Character & Prosperity: Who hasn’t walked into a local business and said “Hey, this place is wicked!” then went and told their closest friend? Our community has been defined by our local business scene, and this plays a big factor in our satisfaction with where we live and what we value on a daily basis.
SOME OF OUR LOCAL FAVOURITES
As experts in digital branding, we always lead with purpose. We ask why before we act, so we can shape compelling strategies and stories. We also love to shop, eat, and play! Our team has comprised a list of our top local businesses that you need to try out this season.
TOP DRAW’S CHOICES FOR LOCAL BREWERY OR DISTILLERY
- ODD COMPANY
- S.Y.C BREWING CO.
- SEA CHANGE BREWING
- ALLEY KAT BREWING CO.
- SITUATION BREWERY
- STRATHCONA SPIRITS DISTILLERY
- TOWN SQUARE BREWING CO.
- RURAL ROUTES BREWING CO.
OUR FAVOURITE LOCAL RESTAURANTS & CAFES
- NEXT ACT PUB
- FARROW SANDWICHES
- THE COMMON
- TRES CARNALES
- THE SUGAR BOWL
- SPINELLI BAR ITALIA
- MILLCREEK CAFE
- SQUARE 1 COFFEE
- ROSSO PIZZERIA
- EL CORTEZ
- LITTLE BRICK CAFE
- CORSO32 GROUP
- SAPPORO SUSHI RAMEN AND BUBBLE TEA
- THE BEND LOUNGE
- RED OX INN
ONE OF A KIND LOCAL RETAIL SHOPS
- BAMBOO BALLROOM
- GRAVITY POPE
- HIDEOUT DISTRO
- SHOP CHOP
- EASY RIDER
- SUNDANCE SKI & SNOWBOARD
- DE BOERS GOLF SHOP & FITTING CENTER
- ELEMENTS OUTFITTERS EDMONTON
- MAVEN & GRACE
- VILLAGE GOODS
- THE PLAID GIRAFFE
- MAJESTY AND FRIENDS
WHAT’S BETTER THEN DESSERT?
- KIND ICECREAM
- BLOCK 1912
- WHIMSICAL CAKE
- DUCHESS BAKESHOP
- BLOOM COOKIE CO.
- THE ART OF CAKE
OUR BEST OF THE BEST EDMONTON SERVICE COMPANIES
TOP DRAW’S ALL-TIME FAVOURITE SPOTS
- MILL CREEK WALK/RIDE FOLLOWED BY MILL CREEK CAFE
- A CAMEO AND A PINT FROM THE NEXT ACT PUB
- TERWILLEGAR DOG PARK
- PROVINCIAL LEGISLATIVE GROUNDS
There are hundreds of local businesses that we are still discovering, and you can too! If you are curious whether where you shop is local, you can always check out the Edmonton Made Directory. Let’s push through this and do our part to help our local, independent businesses.